- Supports DSD file playback on recordable DVD disc, 5.6MHz dsf file native playback without PC connection.
- Supports 24bit/192kHz PCM file playback
- Unique vibration control mechanism, VACS (Vibration Acoustic Control Structure).
- Separated power supply units for analog and digital sections, and high-quality parts such as the Cirrus Logic CS4398.
- Energy efficient “green technology”: Max 11W of power consumption and an automatic power saving mode.
- Full-metal jacket. Gorgeous aluminum panels for front, top and sides. Small footprint fits your desktop.
- Supports 2.8/5.6MHz DSD-file-recorded disc playback (dsf format on recordable DVD discs)
- Supports 24bit/192kHz PCM disc playback (wav format on recordable CD/DVD discs)
- Supports CD-DA disc
- Center-mount mechanism design with slot-in drive
- VACS vibration control stabilize mechanism
- Cirrus Logic CS4398 D/A Converter
- BlackFin processor for signal processing
- JRC NJM5532 for operational amplifier
- Separated power supply for digital and analog sections
- Schottky Barrier Diodes for stable current supply
- Pure mode for DSD/PCM processing
- 6-layer glass epoxy circuit boards for simplified signal paths
- Max 11 watts of low power consumption
- Auto power saving mode (user selectable)
- Repeat play (1/All/Folder), Shuffle play, Max 99 tracks program play
- Full metal body
- Organic EL display with dimmer
- 1 Optical digital output
- 1 Coaxial digital output
- 1 Analog unbalanced RCA output
- Remote control
- 3-polar AC socket with a detachable AC cable
The PD-501HR plays back DSD files recorded to DVD discs, eliminating the need for any PC. Conventional DVD writing software is capable of burning DSD-file-recorded discs, by writing dsf files to recordable DVD discs (DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW). (SACD disc is not supported on the PD-501HR.)
Conventional DSD processors convert PCM files prior to converting to an analog signal. The PD-501HR employs a “Pure Mode”, processing DSD into an analog signal directly. This lets you enjoy pure DSD sound that normal PCM-conversion can’t.
The PD-501HR also supports PCM file (wav format) and up to 24bit/192kHz of high-resolution audio without the need for a PC connection.
While reading signals from a rating disc, vibrations may cause a read error and negatively affect the sound quality by missing some of the original data on the disc. To eliminate vibrations and reach perfect data reading, the PD-501HR employs a unique vibration control mechanism, VACS, for a smooth rotation. After dozens of evaluation tests the VACS instrument was chosen and fixed to the drive of the unit in order to achieve the best possible performance.
A cerebrated CS4398 by Cirrus Logic is utilized to achieve 120dB of dynamic range. The CS4398 also employs un-damped volume control and a Mismatch Shaping Technology to eliminate distortion caused by capacitor mismatching.
The field-proven and well-reputed JRC’s NJM5532 operational amplifier has been applied to the analog circuits.
In order to reduce the signal paths throughout the circuits, each part has been carefully laid out on 6-layer glass-epoxy motherboards. This design reduces and simplifies the signal paths and helps improve the sound quality.
Separate power supply units for the digital and analog sections help prevent digital noise that can leak across the sections over the current. Schottky Barrier Diodes are also employed on the rectifier circuit to supply cleaner current by eliminating rectification noise.
By engaging various technologies and know-hows learned over decades the PD-501HR is one of the highest performing CD players with 20-80kHz of frequency response, 116dB of S/N ratio, 118dB dynamic range, and 0.004% of THD on PCM playback.
In keeping with the rest of the Reference 501 series, the PD-501HR also maintains low power consumption without sacrificing sound quality. With a maximum 11W of power consumption, a selectable power saving mode and 0.1W of power consumption during standby, the PD-501HR can truly be called “green technology”.
Not only the front panel, both side and top panels are made of aluminum and attached to a robust steel chassis. These heavy parts eliminate vibrations and allow all internal circuits to always perform under stable conditions. An A4-sized body allows users to place the unit in small spaces. The PD-501HR defines a new standard that fits all modern interior with great space-saving design and a timeless presence.
TEAC understands that having higher specifications and high-quality sound are not enough for authentic hi-fi units. Creating easy-to-use enjoyable products is another mission of the Reference 501 series. Spun metal finished transport buttons with short stroke and an easy-to-recognize toggle switch gives the user assured operation. Even the remote control is designed for a luxurious finish.